News & Notices
At the Regular Council Meeting Tuesday January 26th 2016, Darlene Jackson, the Education Support Coordinator - Centre Hastings attended as a delgation to speak about the Alzheimer Society of Hastings - Prince Edward. Jackson highlighted the work of the Alzheimer Society of Hastings- Prince Edward, and outlined facts about Dementia and how to become a "Dementia Friend".
- Three out of four Canadians know someone witrh dementia
- Women represent 72% of Canadians living with Alzheimer's.
- Age is the biggest risk factor for dementia. 1 in 10 people after the age of 65 yrs live with dementia and 1 in 3 after age 85 years.
- Dementia also occures in people in their 50s, 40s and even in their 30s.
- 429 persons are estimated living with dementia over the the age of 65 years in Central Hastings County (Stirling, Madoc, Tweed, Marmora) based on the 2011 Census.
- The society supported 180 individuals and/or family members in 2014-2015 compared to 140 in 2013-2014 in the central hastings region.
Be A Dementia Friend:
- A Dementia friend is someone who learns a little bit more about what it's like to live with dementia and then turns that understanding into simple actions that can help people with dementia live well. Register to be a dementia friend at www.dementiafriends.ca
Dementia Friend Tips:
- Watch for signs like a person repeating themselves, not dressed for the weather, pacing, not knowing where they are, having difficulty with words, or maybe just being silent. You can approach and speak slowly, ask Yes or No questions, avoid confrontations, be patient and offer help.