The Municipality of Tweed has appointed Mr. John Ewart of Ewart, O'Dwyer Barristers & Solicitors as the Integrity Commissioner for the municipality and authorize him to conduct inquiries upon complaint for rules governing ethical behaviour of Members of Council as they pertain to the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and Code of Conduct.
The Integrity Commissioner's responsibilities include:
- Conduct inquiries upon complaint for Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and Code of Conduct matters.
- Provide advice to members of Council and local boards regarding their obligations under the Code of Conduct and Municipal Conflict of Interest Act.
- Provide educational information to the public, the municipality, and Members of Council and local boards about the Code of Conduct and Municipal Conflict of Interest Act.
Complaint Filing Process:
- All complaints shall be in writing and shall be dated and signed by an identifiable individual using the Formal Municipal Integrity Commissioner Complaint Inquiry Form or the Application for Municipal Integrity Commissioner Investigation under the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act Form.
- The complaint must set out reasonable and probable grounds for the allegation that the Member has contravened the Code of Conduct or the Conflict of Interest Act. A supporting sworn affidavit setting our the evidence in support of the allegation must also be included.
- The complaint shall be filed with the Municipal Clerk who shall forward the matter to the Integrity Commissioner for initial classification to determine if the matter is, on its face, a complaint with respect to non-compliance.